Sustainable Indoor Adventures in the Fall
As autumn winds blow and we spend more time indoors, it's the perfect opportunity to engage in sustainable activities that bring the family together. MyEcoWorld®, offers more than just waste solutions; our products can be an integral part of fun crafts and activities. Here are some engaging activities that use minimal waste, promote sustainability, and incorporate MyEcoWorld® products!
1. Leaf Art:
- Materials: Colorful fallen leaves, reusable paper or cardboard, non-toxic glue (water and flour create a powerful and non-toxic adhesive), safety scissors, and MyEcoWorld® compostable bags.
2. Pinecone Bird Feeders:
- Materials: Pinecones, birdseed, peanut butter, twine, MyEcoWorld® compostable bags.
- Collect fallen pinecones from your yard or park.
- Either create your own non-toxic birdfeed or go to your local grocery store to pick some up.
- Tie twine around the pinecones for hanging.
- Smear peanut butter on the cones, then roll in birdseed.
- Hang the feeders outside and observe the birds.
- Clean up messes with MyEcoWorld®’s compostable bags.
3. Homemade Treats: Mini Apple Pies Recipe:
- 4 large apples
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crust (or homemade if preferred)
- Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
- Optional: Ice cream or whipped cream for serving
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Muffin tin
- Reusable rolling pin
- MyEcoWorld 3Gal compostable bags (for apple peelings and cores)
- Preheat Oven: Set your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare Apples: Wash the apples, then peel and core them. Chop the apples into small pieces. Place apple peelings and cores in MyEcoWorld’s compostable bags.
- Mix Filling: In a mixing bowl, combine chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir until the apples are well coated.
- Prepare Crust: Roll out the pie crust on a lightly floured surface. Use a round cookie cutter or a cup to cut out circles slightly larger than the muffin tin cups.
- Assemble Pies: Press each crust circle into the muffin tin, forming a small cup. Spoon the apple mixture into each crust cup. If you have extra crust, you can cut strips or shapes to make a top crust.
- Apply Egg Wash: Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash for a golden finish.
- Bake: Place the muffin tin in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Cool and Serve: Let the mini pies cool before serving. Optionally, top with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Clean-Up: Use MyEcoWorld’s compostable bags for any organic waste created during the baking process.
4. Movie Night:
- Materials: Environmental or nature themed movie, popcorn, reusable popcorn maker, bowls.
- Select an educational environmental movie.
- Pop popcorn in a reusable maker.
- Serve in reusable bowls.
- Watch, learn, and discuss.
- Compost any popcorn waste in MyEcoWorld® bags.
5. Indoor Gardening:
- Materials: Seeds, reusable containers, soil
- Fill reusable containers with soil.
- Plant seeds and place in a sunny spot.
- Mix in compost from compost pile.
- Water and tend to your plants regularly.
6. Nature-Based Story Time:
- Materials: Nature-themed books, reading space.
- Pick books with an environmental focus.
- Set up a cozy reading space.
- Read and discuss the stories together.
7. MyEcoWorld® Bag Planters:
- Materials: MyEcoWorld® bags, seeds, soil, pebbles, water, reusable markers or paint, tray.
- Flatten a MyEcoWorld® bag.
- Decorate it with markers or paint.
- Place a layer of pebbles inside for drainage.
- Add soil and plant your seeds.
- Water gently and place on a tray.
These activities not only provide meaningful family bonding but also teach valuable lessons in sustainability. By incorporating MyEcoWorld®'s products in creative ways, we can demonstrate that being environmentally minded can be fun and fulfilling.